2.7.2Quality and Regulatory Management
SBM Offshore is committed to performing its business in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and to delivering products and services meeting all related regulatory requirements, as well as any applicable specifications and requirements imposed by relevant stakeholders (including, but not limited to, clients). SBM Offshore is equally committed to Continuous Improvement and is actively using DNV GL’s system, adopted in 2014, as a tool to incorporate best practices into SBM Offshore's ways of working.
As part of the Group Operational Excellence functions, the combined Quality & Regulatory Management function is dedicated to ensuring that such objectives are consistently met in the Company’s core business, notably through:
- Promoting a quality and compliance culture across its organization and ensuring appropriate behaviors.
- Ensuring compliance of with relevant international standards (including, but not limited to, 9001) and, in turn, ensuring effective compliance of the organization with .
- Providing systematic identification of regulatory requirements applicable to its core business activities and ensuring their implementation within the organization.
- Ensuring that conformity, compliance and acceptance of the Company’s products and services are effectively achieved and maintained throughout their lifecycle.
- Supporting continuous improvement, notably through the management of an Action Plan established to gradually reach an ambition level consistent with Company strategy.
- Increasing standardization and digitalization through the Fast4Ward® program.
Key achievements in 2019
- Active promotion of quality and regulatory compliance through communication campaigns (combined with and Process Safety) and a global celebration of World Quality Day.
- Maintenance of SBM Offshore’s certification. 9001:2015
- Quality improvement initiatives in the context of SBM Offshore’s ambition to Target Excellence, focusing notably on ’Costs of Non-Quality’.
- Full deployment of SBM Offshore's 12 Quality Rules as a quality-focused complement to SBM Offshore's well-established Life-Saving Rules and Process Safety Fundamentals.
- Regulatory watch and research, as required to support the Company’s Win, Execute and Operate activities and strengthen corresponding assurance coverage.
- Implementation of the Action Plan, including assessments of a selection of operating units and onshore locations.
Most importantly, all Company offshore facilities were duly approved by all relevant authorities and regulators, with all related permits, licenses, authorizations, notifications and certificates duly granted and maintained valid. Offshore facilities have also remained 'in class' at all times, as required from both statutory and insurance perspectives.
Key objectives for 2020
- Leading contribution to the Company’s journey to Target Excellence, with specific focus on the ’No Defects’ target and the ’right first time’ principle.
- Renewal of SBM Offshore’s ISO 9001:2015 certification, as required every three years.
- Reduction of Cost-of-Non-Quality (and Cost-of-Non-Compliance) through systematic tracking, investigations and pilot initiatives to both prevent and mitigate future occurrences across the Company’s Corporate, Win, Execute and Operate activities.
- Smarter and leaner management system (' 2.0'), assurance activities and ways of working, building on best practices and the Fast4Ward principles.
- Development of an integrated product assurance approach as a way to close quality gaps and increase efficiency and predictability.
- Building competence in 'design thinking', 'lean' and 'agile' ways of working.
- Effective use of independent third parties (including, but not limited to, certification and classification bodies, as shown in section 5.5) for inspection, verification and assurance services related to Execute and Operate activities.
- Maintenance of an effective regulatory watch and interface with regulators, supporting ongoing business, innovation and new ventures.
As a permanent, overarching objective, all Company projects, facilities and sites are to be performed, delivered and maintained in full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and requirements from relevant stakeholders.